Wednesday, December 3, 2014

In Our Own Words - Modern Day Reflections on the Bible

 What joy for those whose strength comes from the lordwho have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs.
Psalm 84:5-6




What draws me to this passage is the bold promise it makes to turn our harsh environments into a source of replenishing joy, if we would seek to find our strength in him. For this promise to come true, however, I have to develop a working understanding of what it means to draw my strength from God, vs. myself or my circumstances.

This becomes easiest for me when I define strength as "the will to keep moving forward against resistance". By choosing to focus on God (setting my mind on a "pilgrimage to Jerusalem", i.e. "God"), his already completed works, and the works he promises to one day complete, I find that I have the creator of the universe on my side. Meditating on his power and favor gives me hope that things won't always feel as bad as they do. My mind and heart can conceive that the resistances I'm pushing against won't overwhelm or swallow me up.

Up shoots a sprout of joy from an internal, eternal hope that God is funneling his strength into my being. I find myself able to believe that God can, and will, really take care of me, even if my environment seems to be incredibly hostile to my well being. The growing sense of hope that God is looking out for me refreshes my soul and gives me more strength to keep walking. Environments that have traditionally produced tears have now been changed into places where the presence of God is palpable, and where his goodness washes over me and my circumstances.



No comments:

Post a Comment